From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:40:31 -0500
> I'm surprised that no Cornellian out there has added the Cornell-Harvard
> rivalry (next episode to be played Friday - the first time I will see at
> Lynah).  Any game that has been sold out for at least three months
strikes
> me as a pretty intense game.

Speaking as a Cornellian (no sh*t... :-), I would have to vote against the
CU-Harvard rivalry as a truly great rivalry.  Simple fact is that Harvard
doesn't get nearly as whooped up about this as we do.  Now polo, *there's*
something a Cantab can get worked up for... :-)

While I'm here, I would put in a vote for the Cornell-BU rivalry of the
60's and 70's.  But I can't imagine what the Minnesota-Wisconsin games were
like in the 70's when they were effectively the only two contenders for the
national title year after year after year...

> A note on that game, it appears that Coach Tomassoni has asked the
> officials to warn the Lynah faithful before the teams even skate out to
> prevent us Cornellians from greeting the Crimson with a rain of fish.  I
do
> understand his concern for his players' safety but that does take just a
> bit of the fun out of this one.

What this means quite simply is that Cornell will start the game with a 2
minute penalty.  Oh well, at least we have a lot of practice on comebacks
:-(.

- Greg Berge