From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:26:54 -0500
>>> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Eric Rickin wrote:
>>> Wrong.  The # of potential injuries that good equipment saves is
>>> incredible.  What we need to do is much simpler -- have refs make the
>>> calls, and increase the penalities for certain stupid moves.  If they were
>>> REALLY serious about avoiding injuries, boarding and checking would carry
>>> suspensions.  Kneeing would too.  It's all very simple.

> Edmond S Tehan <[log in to unmask]> 01/31/97 09:29pm
> Why does this appear to be obvious to so few?
> Yes, hockey is (or atleast can be) a "violent" sport, and players are
> very well aware of it.  But this is the NCAA, not the NHL.
> Excellent point Eric.

Good points gentlemen, if indeed the injuries were coming from penalty
infractions. However, it seems that every serious injury comes from a "clean"
play ... eg. a player misses a check and hits the boards or a player loses a
blade, falls and hits the boards. Are you going to penalize the injured player
for "stupid" moves as you put it?

The "witch-hunt" mentality of penalizing everyone is only going to ruin the
sport. If we could just get these players to play with some more caution, we'd
cut done on the injuries. What a preposterous notion, Eric, that checking should
carry a suspension. Is this what should be obvious to everyone, Edmond?

Just my 2-cents.

- Paul.