From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 21:27:18 -0500
Most of my thoughts regarding Smith's proposals have been aired already.  I
will only say that the thing that makes the college game infinitely beter
than the pros is the two line pass.  The beauty of hockey is in the finesse,
combined with the physical.  We can see in the NHL today that too much of the
former has gone out of the game and too much of the latter is in.

As for the proposed changes in the checking rules, they are not needed.  All
you have to do is start inforcing the rules you have.  I believe the
penalties in the books for board checking, hitting from behind and
interference.  All you have to do is start calling them and don't stop until
the players (and coaches) wise up.

And, like Ralph and Tony, I also remember "no checking in the offenseive
zone".  I believe it was Gilles Threadgold's favorite call!

Greg Ambrose, UNH'72
GO BLUE!!