From:
Doug Garn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:41:09 -0500
> I would, however, like to know the following (or where to find it, short of
> visiting the Public Library in Madison and leafing through 20+ years of old
> newspapers):
>         - has the ration of ex-Wisconsin players to ex-US college players
> entering the NHL (however briefly) changed since pre-JS?  (my gut reaction,

This is something that just can't be used as a measuring stick to go by.
First, you might be able to dig this kind of stat out for 1 or 2 teams,
but doing it for all div 1 teams would be a nightmare.

Its been kind of semi proven that just because you are good in college
hockey doesn't mean you will be good in the NHL (if you even make it).
For instance, look at Brian Holzinger, Blaine Lacher, Jim Dowd.  These
guys had awesome college careers but Lacher has been demoted, and the
other guys point production is literally nothing.

There's dozens of other college players that are currently doing great in
the CCHA but aren't even drafted.  Cody Bowtell comes to mind.

I'm sure others on this list could also tell about dozens of other
players that either did good in the college game and squat in the NHL, or
did poorly in college bu did decent in the NHL.  That's just not a
yardstick to go by.