Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 23:59:40 -0600
>Therefore, I would like to hear from people as to how many losses and
>ties in a season you consider as reasonable for an elite program like
>BU, Minnesota, Maine, CC, Michigan, MSU, Clarkson, and the rest
>(sorry for not mentioning them all).

It really depends upon the year.  The last couple of years, I have been
very happy with what the Gophers have accomplished.  This year, I'm hoping
for more.  It's why I've been kind of hard on them in some of my postings.
I guess I don't have a set number of wins I'm looking for; I'll judge what
I think the team should accomplish as they play.

>I have also been thinking for the past several weeks alone some
>similiar lines.  Namely, would you rather have your team win
>the NCAA Championship, but then have it fall on hard times for
>several years and have to try and rebuild? Or would rather have the
>team among the elite programs every year, but repeated fail to win
>the NCAA Championship?

I would rather have a team that is in contention every year.  I find that
the cries for winning "The Big One" are overrated.  I'll respond to a
ability to make it to the Super Bowl four straight years, even if they
didn't win any of them.  Part of this feeling stems from growing up around
a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.  That was a string of not bringing home the prize
that even the Gophers can't match.  All I can say is, 1955 meant so much
more because of how long it took.  (See, it happened 13 years before I was
born and I still speak of it with almost religious awe.)

J. Michael Jackson