From:
Ron Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 22:23:40 -0500
Netting around the rink would simply end my attendance at college hockey
games.  I had 4 season ticket holders in my group cancel their tickets when
the netting went up in front of them behind the net at Providence, and I
would certainly do the same if I had to put up with it on a regular basis.
 Simply put, if you attend an athletic event (such as hockey or baseball),
there is an implied risk of being hit by something leaving the playing
surface.  If that is unacceptable, stay home.  Period.  To subject the fans
in the rink to looking through a fishnet because of liability concerns is
ridiculus.  There are high school rinks in RI that have full netting and I
avoid them like the plague.  I would do the same for any college rink with
the same conditions.  Should baseball stadiums have full netting around the
entire park?  How about lacross or soccer fields?  At what point do we simply
decide that there is such a thing as "too safe."  Personally, I'd say we
already exceeded that boundary.

-- Ron