From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 1995 09:57:24 -0700
The subject is a quote from my former dean used in describing what he
perceived as "yet another lunacy on the part of the administration"

As many of you may know, I'm the NCAA faculty Athletics Representative
for our small (8 sport, 4 for eah gender) division II athletics
program.  When our new chancellor arrived, I scheduled, (and had
cancelled) two appointments with her to discuss faculty involvement in
setting policy for athletics.  In cancelling the second one, she
suggested I contact our vice chancellor for administration and
finance, the person to whom the athletic director reports.  I have the
copies of the memos asking for travel support to attend compliance
training seminars and national meetings of faculty athletics
representatives.  I have attended conference meetings at my own
expense to keep apprised on what is happening.  I fear strongly that
something will eventually go wrong, and that it will be an unintentional
error, and I will take some heat, and some student athlete will take some
heat.  When I ask for funding support from the vice chancellor, I'm
told it should come out of the athletics department budget.  Now the AD
likes me.  He knows I like athletics and support his programs and the
student athletes.  However, There seems to me to be some form of
conflict of interest for me to have to beg for funds from the
athletics department to address compliance issues.

Now, when something goes wrong, who gets to take the heat?
All I can do, is to try my damndest to assure nothing goes wrong.
Continuing eligibility is checked by a gentleman in Admissions and
Records whose integrity I absolutely do not question.  In 98.6% of the
cases the evaluations are no brainers, but there is always the odd one
or two.

So why am I posting this to hockey-l?
1) maybe somebody out there has some words of wisdom for me to help
   me do the FAR portion of my job better.
2) i hurt for some folks at maine who are caught up in this
   investigation and want to vent.
   A) Cal Ingraham played as a freshman at the Air Force Academy.
      My family was in the cadet sponsor program, and it happened that
      one of our cadets was a Hockey player, and in supporting that
      young man, we got to know many of the other players including
      Cal and his brother Bobby who went on to set many defensive
      records for Air Force.  Cal's going to be hurt by this.  Cal's
      Dad will also be hurt by this.  That saddens me.
   B) Coach Walsh, was put in a position where there were not enough
      checks and balances in the system in place it Maine.  One could
      debate all day whether one should blame coach Walsh or blame the
      university for putting him in such a position.  One could also
      speculate about whether coach walsh "took advantage" of the
      flaws in the system at Maine.  Irrespective of culpability,
      college hockey is losing an excelent talent behind the bench.
      That saddens me.

you all have a happy holiday

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369