From:
Daniel Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 11:47:53 EST
I felt I had to add to this discussion.

1. I do not know how BU is handling the situation either but
in my opinion, the sponsoring institutions should backup
their students/athletes with first classs health insurance,
particularly since they rely on these individuals for
name recognition, school prestige, and most importantly
the $7.00 per spectator charged at the door.  These kids bring
in ample funds to allow for this protection and in this sense I
see them (as irrelevant as my legal opinion is) as employees.
The "skate at your own risk" sign at a Div I school, particularly,
during a game, should not apply.  These games can be BRUTAL and
the last thing a player should worry about is what may happen to
him and his family as a result of an injury sustained on the ice.

2. Being on a scholarship based on performance is, indeed, a tough
way to live.  The coach can pull a scholarship away at any time or at least
at the end of the year.  This must put a lot of stress on the 2nd and
3rd lines or the freshmen.  And remember, it's really one man's opinion,
the coach, who decides if the school renews the scholarship.  The fans
can be rough too as I once heard one scream, "Earn your scholarships!"
during a game.  If you win you're a hero and if you lose...

My 2 cents...
Dan