From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:41:37 -0700
> Date:         Wed, 6 Dec 1995 22:23:07 -0800
> From: Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: The RPI
>
> J. Michael Jackson wrote:
>
> > On to the subject of the RPI.  Charlie Shub noted that Colorado College
> > fell after beating Air Force.  I've long been a proponent of having a
> > strength of schedule measure in any rating system.  However, CC isn't a
> > worse team for playing and beating Air Force than they would be if they
> > hadn't played them at all.

I think the surprize and feeling of mortality the closeness of the
game gave them is a positive for their program, or at least will be
made into that by their coaching staff.  I think the game may have
made them a better team because they "learned" from the game.  I found
the result as surprizing as the lopsided LSSU victory over BU in the
1994 championship game.

> >                             Is there any way in the numbers to allow a team
> > to drop a win from its record if such a game hurts their standing?  Should
> > the NCAA go to such a system if the numbers allow it?  Colorado College is
> > locked into these games with Air Force for a lot of reasons that they
> > couldn't get out of if they wanted to (such as that Air Force is letting
> > them use their arena).  Is it fair to punish CC for playing these games, or
> > any other team in a similar situation?  They're in a no win situation; win
> > or lose, these games hurt their tournament chances.
>
> CC could stop scheduling Air Force and replace the game(s) with ones
> against stronger opponents to get a better SoS.

No, Sean, thee only sheet of ice within 75 miles of their campus that
has stands for more than 250 people is at the Air Force Academy.
Until the money brokers in town get the new arena built, CC has no
choice but to play at the academy.

> Over the course of a 34 game schedule, one or two games against Air
> Force will not end up being the reason CC does, or does, not make
> the NCAA tournament.

Well, actually the WCHA scheduling hurts the top team's SoS because
they can end up playing the worst team in the league 6 or 7 times (4
times during the season and 3 in the first round of playoffs)

> By the way, BU plays Dartmouth, Princeton, and either Notre Dame or
> Wisconsin this month.
>
> --
> Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Go Terriers  1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
> BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
> The Bedford Flag:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/flag.html
> But I Digress:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/bid.html

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369