From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:45:04 -0400
Is it too late to wax nostalgic about the Boston Garden?  Like Arthur Berman,
I have been going to the Garden for a long time to watch college hockey.  My
first Beanpot was my senior year in high school - 1965 - and all I can
renenber us that the place was incredibly noisy, I don't even remember who
won (BU, I suppose).

Anyway, I would divide my memories into 2 categories - Beanpots & ECAC/Hockey
East championships. BEANPOTS -  In 1967, NU beat BC in the semis, in double
overtime - very exciting since the Huskies were incredible dormats back then.
 In 1976, BC captain Richie Smith faking alleged BU defenseman Gary Fay out
of his ****strap and scoring the winner.  NU's 1st Beanpot win in 1980 where,
as the winning goal was being scored, a big fight broke out between BU and NU
fans right next to me.  In 1992 (?) standing next to Essa Tikanen (sic)
jabbering away in Finnish while watching Kai Linna and BU.  I guess that is
the added bonus of the Beanpot - observing the crowd as much as the game.
 For those 2 nites in February every year, college hockey is king!

As for ECACs and HE, one memory stands out among all others - the 1977 ECAC
semis and finals.  Of course, from a UNH perspective, it was delirious as we
beat Cornell in the semis 10-9 in double overtime. After 60 minutes of
shooting practice where 18 goals were scored, somehow the 2 goalies righted
themselves and threw dual shutouts in the first overtime (20 minutes by the
way).  I believe it was within the 1st minute of the 2nd overtime that Bob
Gould (later of the Flames, Bruins & Caps) scored the winner. Beyond making
it to the final, we fans knew it meant a trip to the NCAA final four.  I can
only describe it as sheer ecstacy.  The 2nd semi pitted BU against Clarkson
and this time it was a defensive struggle as only 13 goals were scored.
 While Clarkson (led by the incomprable Dave Taylor) did not blow at 2 goal
lead with 1 minute to go, they did with less than 3 minutes to go as BU
popped in 2 with about a minute to go to win 7-6.  After 32 goals the first
nite, what could be left?  After 2 periods it was 6-6 but unfortunately for
the Wildcats, they had nothing left in 3rd and lost 8-6.  My memories, beyond
the 55 goals scored (Cornell beat Clarkson in the consolation5-4),were of the
incredibly talented forwards on all 4 teams - Dave Taylor, Rick Meagher, Mike
Eruzione, Bob Miller, Ralph Cox, etc.  No goaltending but . . .GREAT
scoring!!

Greg Ambrose, UNH'72
GO BLUE!!!