From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 12:46:51 EST
There is no doubt that this is my favorite time of the year!!

There has been a little bit of talk about PC's upset of UNH last night,
I thought I'd throw in my comments.  I watched and taped the game on
NESN, which is one of the benifits of being home for break!  UMaine
doesn't give us NESN, go figure.. <smile>

Anyways, I thought Providence played a great game.  It looked as though
Paul Pooley came out with a game plan that he thought would give his
team the best chance to win the game, and they executed it pretty well.

Providence's first two goals came on UNH defensive break-downs when
a man (quenneville, and breem) were allowed to skate in on UNH goalie
Trent Cavihicci (sp I know) and score.  Really they were not Trent's
fault.  UNH did not play bad defensively, but Providence played a very
conservative style of play.  They did not take many chances, and waited
for their chances.

UNH did have their chances, but Providence goalie Bob Bell played a great
game stopping several great UNH chances as he shut them out for two
periods.  Eric Flinton scored on a turn-around slapper to tie the game
1-1, then through a screen the other UNH Co-Captain (Shmitzche?) scored
on a fabulous screen by Poole I believe to make it 2-1 UNH.  But Breem
would score to tie it up and send it into overtime.

In the extra session, their was only one shot on, and that was the goal.
The original shot was Burkes, and it was deflected weakly by Trent by
another Providence player, his name slips me at the moment.  The shot came
from the left side of the ice, and Trent was sliding to his left but the shot
was re-deflected to his right and it just dribbled by him for the goal to
set off quite a celebration by Providence.

I was very glad when Providence went on their winning streak to finish
6th, and this is just the reason why.  Pooley has his boys peaking at
the right time, and they are a very dangerous team as BU, UMass-Lowell,
and now UNH will tell you.  As a Maine fan, I didn't want a draw with
them.  Pooley has brought the LSSU style of play to Hockey East, and it
was executed very well in my opinion last night.  Providence played a
physical game, and kept it along the boards, waiting for their chances
and concentrating on playing defense.  There is no doubt UNH is a very
talented team, I would be surprised if they did not make the NCAA's, but
with the regular season champions receiving invitations if different
than the tournament champion, that could pose a problem for the Wildcats.
I hope not however, they are an exciting team to watch.

I really think Hockey East is going to be exciting in the next few years,
Maine, BU, UNH all have some great young players, and I'm sure some of
the other teams will mature as well.  Things are going to be really
exciting in the next few years I believe!!  I can't wait for tonights
game, UMass-Lowell and Northeastern, God I love this time of the year!

Enjoy everyone!!
---
Deron [log in to unmask]
Univeristy of Maine 1995 Hockey East RS Champs!