From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 11:12:56 -0500
John Haeussler writes:

>RE: The media
>Agreed.  The media is VERY pro-Michigan...for everything
>but hockey.  When it comes to hockey, Michigan State is still
>the beloved.  Recently, I think Lake Superior has been the
>biggest Detroit area media darlings.

John, you're going to have to prove this.  First, we all know that
the Detroit media doesn't cover college hockey, which sheds a little
light on the "Hockey Hotbeds" thread of a few weeks ago.  But what
have you seen that would lead you to call Lake Superior "Detroit area
media darlings"???  After each of LSSU's last three victorious national
championship games, I've called a local radio station (not always the
same one) and asked if they we're going to include news of the victory
in their sports segment.  The response was usually something akin to
"Lake Superior? ... Isn't that in Canada?"  After last year's victory,
the Free Press did run a lengthy article that included positive ink
about the Lakers and Jeff Jackson but I never found anything about it
in The News even though other national publications (USA Today) covered
it.

Most of the college hockey news in Detroit in some way concerns MSU
or UoM.  Which of these gets the most coverage is really a matter
of who is doing better.  Lake Superior is a small school and Sault Ste.
Marie is a long way from Detroit so I don't expect Detroit media to
follow the Lakers rabidly.  However, it takes a real stretch for me
to think of them as "media darlings".

Matt Wickey                     LSSU '86
Carnegie Group, Inc.            Go LAKERS!