From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 11:50:19 EST
Erik Biever writes:
>Keep in mind that the WCHA has not yet approved the proposal; it may not
>happen.  The main problem I see with a HockeyFest-like tournament for the
>WCHA and CCHA is the large area covered by the two conferences.  Nearly all
>the eastern schools are reasonably close to Boston, but the western schools
>are spread from Ohio to Colorado.  Getting to the current tournament sites
>requires enough travel as it is.

    Some ECAC people might want to add that many ECAC teams actually aren't
    that close to Boston, but I think the main reason HockeyFest works in
    the East is that both leagues have a history of holding their championships
    in the Garden.  It wasn't any big switch to move either of them to create
    HockeyFest.  But in the West, whether St Paul or The Joe was chosen as
    the site, it would be a big change for one of the conferences.  And, of
    course, many more teams would have had to travel - if St Paul was the
    site, 7 of 8 would have traveled this year, four of them to play only one
    game.  For HockeyFest '91, only four teams traveled significant distances
    (Clarkson, SLU, Cornell, Maine).

>I'll have more to say about the NCAA proposal, but I won't have time to
>write it down until after the tournament is over.  I'd like to express my
>thanks to Coach Schafer for posting the details.  Perhaps we can develop
>some sort of composite HOCKEY-L response to the proposal and submit it to
>the NCAA committee.  They might be willing to listen.

    I also have several comments to make that I might not get out until next
    week, and I'd also like to say thanks to Coach Schafer.  Erik's idea is a
    good one, and I'd like to think the NCAA folks would be at least somewhat
    interested in the fan's view.

    - mike