From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 1994 11:37:37 -0400
I am surprised to hear that Steve Stirling might be the leading candidate
for the PC job, for two reasons.

One, it was my understanding (heard it a while ago, don't recall where
so it may be incorrect) that he left PC for Babson about 8-9 years ago
because he did not really enjoy the big-time atmosphere and all the
scrutiny that went with it, plus he also had an opportunity to be both
coach and AD at Babson.  I would be surprised if he gave up the Babson
AD job to return to PC as coach.  (Did he have an interest in the PC AD
job either when he left for Babson or when Lamoriello left for NJ and
Marinatto took over?)

Second, I would think that with Kleinendorst gone to SD, the guy I would
want as head coach would be Tim Army, because his youthful enthusiasm is
something that I think the Friars could use right now to turn them
around.  Kind of like when Shawn Walsh went to Maine and Bruce Crowder
went to Lowell and both turned around struggling programs.  But he may
have his eyes on a pro coaching career now, and he is only one step
from an NHL head coaching job.  He may see PC as a step down.

Ron, is there any talk there of the influence that Lamoriello might
have in the decision and whether the delay in choosing a new coach is
because the Devils are still playing?
Mike Machnik                                             [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                     *HMM* 11/13/93