From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 16:04:10 -0500
Apparently my NMU / MTU results written yesterday did not make it to
the list. I do not have the results here in my office but I will do
the best that I remember.

Friday night:

NMU 2 1 0 - 3  (at Houghton)
MTU 2 2 1 - 5

Saturday night:

MTU 1 1 0 - 2 (at Marquette)
NMU 1 0 2 - 3

Ramada Cup Shootout:

MTU 0 0 1 1 0
NMU 0 0 0 1 0

Comments:

I was lucky enough to attend both games as some very fine hockey
was played. MTU out shot NMU Friday night in both the second and
third periods. The real key to MTU's win was the ability to reply
with scores within a short period after NMU's strikes. This gave
the young MTU team confidence and Northern could not gain momentum.

THis momentum carried over into Saturday night. MTU gave Northern
a run and probably would have beaten Northern had not Buzzy
Christiansen gotten in the way during the third period. Clearly,
MTU won the first two periods. Of note was a beautiful short handed
goal scored by Pat Mikesch after a pass from Brent Peterson. Brent
had intercepted Northern in their zone. Also, Mike Hadden returned to
NMU's reoster after being out six weeks due to injury. The first NMU
goal was a an outstanding show case play by Hadden.  Throughout the evening,
Buzzy called penalties on MTU without effect as MTU successfully killed
off the penalties. However, in the third, Buzzy must have decided that
calling penalties was not enough as he then called a goal midway
through the period. After giving NMU a two man advantage during the
third period, NMU crushed MTU's defenders against the goalie and the
net. THe net came off its moorings, the whistle was blown, an NMU
player moved the puck into the net area (clearly after both the net
came off the mooringings and the whistle blown) and then Buzzy signals
goal. An MTU player almost got to Buzzy before someone tied him up.
After a two minute discussion in front of the scorer's bench (it looked
at one point like the other referee told Buzzy "Your wrong") Buzzy then
allowed the goal tying the game.  On the next powerplay, on a picture
perfect play, NMU's Carpenter scored the game winning goal, moving the
puck skillfully by MTU's defenders to the left of Jamie Ram.

During the second period, Jamie Ram becames MTU's all time goalie with
the most saves.

MTU came to Marquette with a one goal advantage in the Ramada Cup, a
trophy that is awarded to NMU-MTU series victors. In the five year
history of the cup, MTU has never won the cup. Because of NMU's one point
victory, a shoot out was required. Before the shoot out could be conducted
however, a referee decision was required as to whether or not Pat Mikesch
could paticipate. With approximately 7 minutes left in the game, Pat
was given a 10 minute misconduct by you know who. Pat was allowed to shoot,
scoring MTU's first goal on the third shot. Then Figliomeni scored on
the forth shot. I am not certain but I think it Kory Karlander who
then scored for NMU. MTU now has salvaged something from this dismal
season by winning the Ramada Cup.

A strange comment from my wife should indicate our overall Saturday
night experience: she said "I have never seen so much whining at a
hockey about the referee-ing as I did from NMU fans tonight. I never
again will root for Northern against its opponents." My wife was a
strong NMU fan. (past tense). Of course, Rich Comley's comments and
belly-aching about Pat Mikesch did not help. I thought the teams on the
ice played some excellent hockey. However, there were other factors
that got in way of enjoying the hard fought hockey.

Walt Olson
MTU