Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 1994 16:00:35 EST
On 6 Jan, Brian said in part ...
>From this morning's Newsday, Peter and Chris Ferraro have both
>registered for classes this spring at Maine, following their campaign
>with the Olympic team.  Maine coach (remember him?) Shawn Walsh said he
>expects the twins will play for the Black Bears after the Olympics.
>According to Walsh, the twins advised him of this personally, indicating
>they had registered for classes.  Peter Ferraro Sr.  however demurred,
>"There's no final decision.  Are they coming back to Maine?  We'll see.
>Nobody knows yet.  There's no way to predict.  The Rangers could have a
>lot of injuries.  They might want to make a trade.I don't really know
>what they're going to do."

Mike replied, in part ...
>Can anyone explain, why does simply registering for classes allow the
>Olympians to return and play that semester?  I've been wondering about
>the logistics of this for a while.  ...

>        ...  What I'm actually looking for, is if someone in the
>know (at Maine or elsewhere) can explain how this is dealt with.

   According to Matt Bourque, Maine SID, the NCAA allows Olympic players
   to return to school after the Olympics, EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T
   REGISTERED FOR CLASSES, and play out the season with their college
   team.

   In the case of the Ferraros, I have been told they have each
   registered for one class and have arranged with the instructor(s) to
   keep up with readings etc while on the Olympic team.  They intend to
   (leave the possibility open to) attend and complete that class on
   their return following the Olympics.

   (Chris Imes, on the other hand, did not play at Maine last Fall and
   will NOT come back TO PLAY this year, but intends to use his final
   year of eligibility by playing NEXT YEAR).

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]