Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1993 09:02:13 U
From today's Schenectady Daily Gazette:

Albany, Lake Placid file bids
by Tom Boggie, Gazette Sportswriter

"It looks like the battle to host the 1994 Eastern College Athletic Conference
Hockey Championships will come down to a duel between Albany and Lake Placid.
The Albany Sports Foundation and the Olympic Regional Development Authority
submitted the only bids for the event Monday, the unofficial deadline
established by the ECAC.
The Boston Garden, which hosted the ECAC Championships for 26 consecutive years
until the tournament moved to Lake Placid this winter, didn't submit a bid.
THe Garden could still be considered if it shows interest before the league
athletic directors meet to discuss bids at Union College on April 15.
'We're always interested in good events, but we haven't bid on it for next
year,' Steve Nazro, the Boston Garden's director of events, said Monday.
'Boston did express an interest, but I think it was a situation where Steve
didn't have time to sit down and put the proposal together,' said Joe Bertagna,
ECAC executive director of hockey.  'If they need an extension, we'll give them
one. ......"
"'I think our chances are pretty good,' Lynch (Pat Lynch, GM of Knickerbocker
Arena) said Monday.  'We got some good, positive feedback from the folks we
talked to [at the recent ECAC Tournament in Lake Placid].  Everyone knows the
geographic location of Albany, everyone knows about the area and everyone knows
about our hockey fan base.  I just hope they want to mix it up a little bit and
test the waters.'
Lynch said the Albany group is only bidding for the 1994 ECAC Tournament, which
would give the league the opportunity to move the tournament back to Lake
Placid for 1995.  'We're only bidding for one year because we have the NCAAs
[the first round of the NCAA Division I men's basketball tournament] here in
1995,' said Lynch.
Both the ECAC Championships and the first round of the NCAA basketball
tournament are held on the same weekend.
Lynch also said the Knickerbocker Arena is interested in hosting the NCAA
Division I hockey regionals in 1994 and 1995."

End of quoted material

Erik
Cornell '86
U. of Minnesota '91