Sender:
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 11:31:03 EST
In the comparison of MSU vs. NMU, shouldn't it have actually been a comparison
between MSU, RPI, and NMU?  The three teams have very, very similar RPICH
scores.  If all three teams are considered for the final spot, does NMU still
come out ahead of the other two in the majority of the 8 categories?

Finally, I think that MSU was about as unfortunate as a team can get.
Yes, they lost in the CCHA quarterfinal to Ferris State, but the game
was only 3-2, and one MSU goal was not counted - defensemen Chris Smith blasted
a shot into the net (when Ferris was leading 1-0) which rippled twine in the
back of the net and then came back out.  It happened so fast that the refs
never saw it - although replays showed that the puck had gone in.  Too bad.

The newspapers here reported this morning that the committee said that NMU was
chosen over MSU because "NMU had gone farther in their conference's tournament
and because they beat MSU in the GLI."  But previously the committee has said
that tourney games counted the same as regular season games.   It's pretty
lousy that the committee changed their criteria this year at the last
moment.  It's even lousier that the change in criteria short-changed MSU
thanks to a no-call in the tourney game.

We've talked all year about if refs change the outcome of a game.  Here's
a clear case where the refs not only changed the outcome of a game,
they also changed the outcome of a SEASON.

It's high time for the committee to excuse guys like Rick Comley from
selection duties in seasons when his team is under consideration.  We've
seen similar fishy dealings in past years from Jackie Parker and others.
Just "leaving the room" when their teams are being discussed is not
sufficient.  They shouldn't be involved at all - I don't care if everything
really is totally above board, it still looks very bad to outsiders.
If someone wants to serve on the selection committee, they should either be
representing a team that won their conference tournament or else (better yet)
before serving on the committee agree that their school's team will not
accept a bid.

Nuff said,
Tim Newman