Sender:
From:
"Dr. Bob Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:13:46 -0400
Thanks for your note, Bob Woodbury.  Yes, here in the Miami Valley, it is
lucky to even hear a score for Miami given on the late night tv news.  I
would not want to ask them to start telling folks to turn away from the
screen and turn down their sets, if they ever decide to present the scores.
Miami is the only D1 ice hockey team in the tri-state area, as they define
their audience.

And yes, this list seems to have matured from a time when it was my only
source of hockey scores, etc.  Now, there are many other sources.  I
personally find the reporting of scores and SID information rather
duplicative for someone who regularly looks at one of the, at least,  three
good sources of scores and timely information on the internet.

Seems to me one advantage now is to get local viewpoints.  Those who watched
the game and can add to what was in the box score or recap.  Or those who
can fill in the local story between games.  Another advantage is that there
are members who have a wealth of historic knowledge that is not necessarily
recorded out there or readily accessible.  And yet another is those who
share their data modeling and analysis with the list such as Wayne Smith's
comparison, John Whelan's hockey geek tools and Charlie Shub's final 16
scenarios. All in all, it seems like a wonderful collection of folks.
Enough differences to keep it interesting.  And enough similarities to keep
it together.  The main one being an interest in college ice hockey.

While I will not be at the dinner, I wish to raise a toast to a wonderful
group of folks who have kept this list going since the early days of D1
hockey.  In those early days, I exchanged a copy of a newspaper that I was
delivering to make ends meet for a print out of hockey-L email in the early
morning hours throughout the hockey season.  There were not so many
alternatives then.  Now that there are, I look forward to our working
together to meet the challenges of the changes in our list environment.

Bob Hamilton