Sender:
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:47:48 -0500
From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
I don't believe there was a change of administration. I think that Union's
President and Board had no objection to
Division 1 per se; they just did not want to grant athletic scholarships.
This philosophy still exists at Union today.
Harkness, on the other hand, wanted to go to Division 1 and to field a
winning team at the D-1 level. He believed that
couldn't be done without awarding athletic scholarships. When he saw that
the powers that be at Union wouldn't allow that, he left.

It's interesting that Harkness felt he couldn't get a winning team without
the money to hand out having come from Cornell where he had great success
with no scholarship money. Perhaps he had other resources at Cornell that he
did not have access to at Union.

Or perhaps, as has been said, he actually did recruit division 1 caliber
players with no scholarship money available but the Union admissions office
wouldn't accept them. Harkness would feel as if the admissions office was
interfering with his recruiting while the admissions office felt that
Harkness was compromising the school's admission policy. If the Union board
sided with the admissions office, I could see where Harkness would want to
exit the job.