Sender:
From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:33:52 -0500
OK - I guess I will make a horse's rear of myself.

I find the "controversy" stupid.  I could understand why Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians would be offensive, but I really don't understand what is so wrong with the "Fighting Sioux."  What is different from the "Fighting Irish?"  The little banty-rooster caricature that Notre Dame uses is more offensive than the logo of North Dakota.  In my opinion, you can't go after one if you don't go after the other or all of them.  I misdoubt there is a logo anywhere that doesn't offend someone.  Picking an Indian logo in a State with a significant Indian population - what's the problem?  They didn't name themselves the "Cowardly Sioux" did they?  Fighting applied to a sports team, to me at least, is a compliment, not a slur.

Yes, I understand I am on the politically wrong side of this issue.  But I think having schools change logos, especially long standing ones (over 70 years in this case) to be politically correct and to use coercive tactics to do it is both dumb and wrong.  It is also hypocritical given the only target of this initiative is Indian nicknames.

That's my opinion.  I don't expect it to be popular.

Tom Rowe
Former Mizzou Tiger, Western Illinois U. Leatherneck, and U. of South Dakota Coyote.