Sender:
From:
"Larry Haag, Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, NY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:15:29 -0500
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:36:30,  Joel Mack wrote:

>Regardless, it *was* embarrassing.  On paper, this series should have been
>a pair of blowout wins for UNO.  However, that's the reason we actually
>play the games.  RIT earned a couple of wins against a very bad team
>right now.

Why should it have been a couple of blowout wins for UNO?  "On paper", you have
one of the top D-III teams in the country (9-0 coming into the weekend) playing
a D-I team that is still a new program and, by your own admission, is not
playing well right now.  The upper level D-III teams have done reasonably well
against low to mid level D-I teams in the past.

In the mid 80's, before the NC$$ reduced the number of games teams could play
and before the growth in the D-I hockey leagues, RIT was able to scheduled a
handful of D-I games each season.  One year (1986?), they actually went
something like 5-1 against D-I teams and won the Syracuse Invitational
Tournament.  I think they played RPI in a close game the year after each of
them won their respective divisional championship.  I believe that Plattsburgh
and other traditionally "good" D-III teams used to play a few D-I teams, too.

These games were considered "risky" for the D-I team because, as you say, it
would be "embarrassing" to lose to a lower team.  Probably even more
embarrassing than a Maine or Michigan losing to a low D-I team.  At the same
time, though, these games would tend to pump up the players on the D-III team
because they had a shot at beating a team playing above their level.

All the negative talk about the UNO team from UNO fans really surprises me, and
I wonder if you have realistic expectations of the team, coaches, etc.  Aren't
you in just the second year of the hockey program?  When >>established<< D-III
teams move up to playing D-I hockey, they usually don't do well at all.  Just
look at the teams making that move this year.  Should a program that has only
been around for a few years be expected to field a very competative team?
Looking at the UNO record, you've lost to some Top 10 teams (Maine, Michigan
State), Niagara (who has beaten Michigan, Ohio State, and RPI), and had a few
close games.

Nobody wants to be 2-14.  When RIT has an "off" year, I am naturally
disappointed, but I am comparing their performance that year to other winning
years.  Give your team a chance to develop some history.  Maybe you need to
lower your expectations and let the team, players, and coach grow.  It just
sounds to me like you are comparing yourself to the "haves" when, right now,
UNO might legitimately be a "have-not".

Larry