Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:26:24 -0600
I have been skimming this PWR thread with some amusement. It is clear that
there is some degree of unhappiness with the ranking system. As I was
walking across campus today I realized a way to eliminate all this
nastiness.

As a replacement for PWR, I humbly suggest the JFT. What is the JFT?
Well, it's the John's Favourite Teams index.

If we rank teams and determine tournament seedings using the JFT, life will
be so much simpler. Since the JFT is usually quite stable, teams will be
able to plan far in advance their trips to NC$$ tournaments, thereby
taking advantage of low plane fares. Those teams left out will be able to
plan their studying for mid-terms and finals more efficiently. It's simple
yet elegant! Imagine, if you will, an end to rumours of back-scratching,
an end to page after page of hard-to-understand criteria. Just me, sitting
in my living room.

For the benefit of those inquiring minds, here is the latest JFT ranking.
East                   West
1. Clarkson
2. St. Lawrence        3. St. Cloud
                       4. Ohio State
                       5. Miami (OH)
                       6. North Dakota
7. Mass-Lowell
8. Harvard
9. Cornell
10. Union             11. Nebraska-Omaha
                      12. Michigan Tech
13. Merrimack

Since we need two teams from each conference, Merrimack will slide in
ahead of MTU. That also allows us to have a wide variety of mascots in
the tournament (although a dogfight might be interesting...). The Warriors
will become the 6th West seed.

To determine which teams switch over, I will roll a pair of fuzzy dice
that I stole from my sister's rear-view mirror.

If my modest proposal is accepted, it will necessitate a change in the
location of the Regionals and the Phinal Phour. From now on, the West
Regional will take place in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba and the East
Regional will take place in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The Phinal Phour will,
of course, take place in Winnipeg (until such time as I decide to move).

I urge you all to write the fine folks in Kansas City, and urge them to
adopt this modest, reasonable proposal forthwith.

Humbly,
John "My tongue has stuck in my cheek, and it won't get out!" Edwards

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
                    Chip boy, Ross Rebagliati Fan Club