Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1992 20:58:50 EST
S. Christopher asks a question about how assists are handed out in games.

It is my understanding that the last two players to touch the puck before the
person scoring a goal are credited with assists no matter how distant the
passes may have occurred from the time of the goal.  That is why he noticed
that the only unassisted goals occur after the only person to touch the puck
besides the scorer was a member of the opposite team.  It is this system which
allows a goalie who contributes a pass in an end-to-end rush to collect an
assist even though his pass occurred at the other end of the ice.

My apologies to Shane for having apparently mistakenly corrected him as to the
nickname of the Brown Bears.  After several years in the Ivy League though, and
with a few friends attending Brown, the only nickname I ever heard used for
them was the Bruins.  Any Brown alums out there wish to respond?

For the time, I stand sat upon. :-)

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95