Sender:
From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 19:49:45 -0500
>Watched Matignon take it to Reading yesterday and thought I'd re-poll the
>list to
>see if anyone has heard where this Matignon star "T.C. Harris" is headed next
>year. I heard that he definitely wants to play in HockeyEast and has mentioned
>Merrimack and B.U. but has declined to commit as of yet. I also notice
>that a lot
>of the players in the Tourney haven't really been mentioned as signing on
>anywhere. Why is that? Practically every star player from the Prep schools have
>already commited. But I haven't heard of anything on the seniors from Catholic
>Memorial, Matignon, etc.
>
>- Paul.

Rumour has it that BU backed off of Harris because of his extra-curricular
"activities".  In fact, I saw an article in the Boston Herald today where
he alludes to apparent misconceptions about himself.  He talks about
wanting to play HE, even if it is Merrimack (this is a paraphrase of his
quote).  Sounds to me as though he is not getting the offers he thought he
was going to get.

In a more general vein, Harris is only 18 years old (I assume).  How many
18 year olds are contributing at the D1 level?  UNH has only 3 players
under the age of 20.  It is not a kids' game anymore, the coaches want
seasoning.  That's why you see the extra prep year, a year in the USHL,
etc.  There are no more (or at least very few) 21 year old seniors anymore.
It makes the accomplishments of guys like Bellefeuille (sp) and Souza,
both right of public high school, all the more remarkable.

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!! WE CAN COME BACK!