Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:23:32 -0500
While we're talking power plays, or lack thereof...

On Nov 26, 14:48, Rick McAdoo wrote:
>  It is for those reasons that I think the
>interpretation should be "any man-advantage time at all that is
>separated by any length of time at equal-strength".  This can get
>very complicated real quick, though.  If you have a 5-minute major with
>no other penalties, then it is a single 5-minute power play.  If you
>have the same major but the other team gets a 2-minute minor one minute
>into the major, then do you have 2 power plays, one for the first minute
>of 5 on 4, and then one more for the 2 minutes of 5 on 4 after the
>intervening 2 minutes of 4 on 4?  I say yes, they are separate power
>plays.

Agreed.  Just wanted to note that, as far as I know, if there is a major penalty
with no other penalties to mess things up, every PP goal scored on that major
starts a new power play.  For example, if Team A gets hit with a major and Team
B scores two goals, Team B is considered to have gone 2 of 3 on that power play
(not 2 of 1 :-)  I think at one time, the entire major would have been counted
as 0 of 1 if Team B didn't score (which it still is) and 1 of 1 if they did,
regardless of how many times they scored.  I hope nobody is still doing it that
way, 'cause it would wind up hurting a team's PP goal totals.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"A man shouldn't be an athlete after the age of 27."
-- George Foreman, in 1973