Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:58:27 -0500
On Nov 25, 16:31, Paul Gentile wrote:
>Looking at the box for BC-UNH this weekend, I saw how UNH had a
>powerplay with 1:31 left to go and a 2 goal lead. Then, with :32 seconds
>to play, B.C. got whistled again and UNH had a 5-3. However, it seems
>this last powerplay was never credited, it should have been UNH's 6th of
>the night.  Was it under some time limit?

Had to read this again, because under ordinary circumstances, when a team goes
to a 5-on-4 situation and then another penalty is called to bring about a
5-on-3, it is counted as two power plays.

The only thing I can think of, assuming somebody didn't just goof up, is that
perhaps since the first penalty came with less than two minutes remaining, the
game ended before it could "expire" and the power play associated with the
second penalty could "begin".  For consistency's sake, though, I would think
this would be counted as two power plays regardless.  After all, if UNH had
scored on the 5-on-3, they would still have been on the power play (5-on-4) for
the remainder of the game, and that one presumably would have been counted as
another PP chance.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"A man shouldn't be an athlete after the age of 27."
-- George Foreman, in 1973