Sender:
From:
glenn auerbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 14:23:00 EST
   A local sports radio talk show host interviewed Bryan Lewis (NHL
   Director of Officiating) the other day.  Lewis was asked about
   Legg's goal, specifically if that was something that would be
   legal if NHL players started doing similar things.  He said that
   it would be legal under current rules.  HOWEVER, IF IT BECAME
   SOMETHING THAT WAS BEING DONE REGULARLY, THE NHL WOULD PROBABLY
   MOVE TO MAKE IT ILLEGAL.  Basically, they would interpret the
   move as using your equipment to propel the puck forward.  As we
   know, no equipment other than the stick can be used to move the
   puck into the net.  This would be considered the same as using
   your skate or glove to push the puck into the net.

   Disclaimer:  This is my interpretation of Lewis' comments
   (although there was not too much room for interpretation).
   Also, the comments made by Lewis were just that - comments,
   nothing more.

   Glenn Auerbach