Sender:
From:
Frank Costanza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 14:28:29 -0600
OUCH OUCH!  UND drops its final game of the year in quasi-deja vu fasion,
by losing to the Wisconsin Badgers 5-4 in double overtime.  The big
question starting the game seemed to be whether or not UND would be able
to bounce back after a heartbreaking lose Friday.
        The first period started out fairly similar to the previous night
with UND outshooting UW 2-1 (approx.) but finding themselves only up by
one goal.  Dean Blais started freshman goalie Aaron Vickar, and after
giving up a fairly easy goal mid-way through the first, he settled down
to have a fairly good game.
        During the second period, things began to look up for UND as the
Sioux scored twice to take a 3-2 lead into the final period.  During the
third period, UND was leading 3-4 until Mark Pivetz was given a two
minute penalty.  During the powerplay, UW scored (with about 2 minutes
left in the game) and the game went to overtime.
        In the first overtime, both teams had several great chances to
put the game away, but they could never capitalize.  UW had several
breakaways which they were unable to convert, and UND had two shots at a
nearly empty net (one which was fanned on).  In the second overtime, UW
scored a goal with over 18 minutes left.  The shot from around the blue
line, kept elevating, hit the crossbar, and fell straight down.  I am not
sure how the shots on goal ended up, but I believe it was close to 40-40.

COMMENTS:
        Daubenspeck is definately playing great, however he once again
showed that he is weaker with shots going to the top shelf.  Any
five-hole shot he stops.  He also seemed to be skating out of the crease
a lot.  Because of this, there were two times that he droped his stick
and UND almost scored.
        UW blew a lot of scoring chances.  Several times during the game,
UND defensemen appeared almost helpless against UW, but the badgers did
not pass the puck to the players breaking for the net.  Instead, they
tried to skate aound the Sioux.
        UND once again dominated most of the game.  However, as soon as
UND had a 4-3 lead in the third period, the game became dump-and-chase
with all of the players getting bottled up in the defensive zone.  I
really think this cost UND the game.
FINALLY:
        Hey, it's been a fun year of hockey.  I hope that someone will be able
to step up and replace a great senior line.  UND has vastly improved since
my freshman year (3 years ago).  Best of luck to all of the seniors!!!!!

TO THE WCHA:
        There is no reason to make the public buy tickets for all three
games.  A family of five would have to shell out $150 for a series, even
if they only wanted to go to one game.
                                                                CBell
|/////Vancouver Canucks #1 in 95-96!!\\\\\\||| This message is from |
|<<<<<Sioux yeah yeah!>>>>>                |||    >> da haus <<     |
| Latest college hockey polls: finger -m -l [log in to unmask] |
[log in to unmask]  meteorologist|
|Today's forecast:  Partly, mostly with a slight chance of weather  |