Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 10:29:22 -0500
>      Was Dunham the only college player to accept spending money from USA
> Hockey?   If not,  then every school that had a player on that Olympic team
> is at risk for ALL the games subsequently played by that player.   There
> could be a MASSIVE number of forfeitures coming up,  folks.   Maybe even
> multiple games where both teams used ineligible players and the games in
> question have to be completely nullified!

I find it hard to believe that Dunham was the only one, also. Without
attempting to belittle USA Hockey at all, this probably happens all
the time. Scenario: The star winger is short on cash, so the coach
gives him $20 for food money. Violation? Or just a coach being a nice guy
so his player can eat? The NCAA will consider it a violation, even
if the player reimburses the coach.

This is what will happen when a program goes under the microscope. Many
college programs have been sanctioned for little things like this.
Judge for yourself as to whether these are really violations.

>      How many of us feel that if you took a microscope to any D-1 hockey
> program in the country that you could probably find as many violations as
> they found at Maine?   (I can almost hear the self-righteous harrumphing
> from here:-)

I'll give a harrumph to that.   :-)

Like I said earlier, many college programs (hockey, b-ball, etc.) have
been penalized for (IMO) little, petty things. Never in a million
years will all the schools be found guilty for violations. I just
have a hard time believing that all schools that have not been found
guilty of these violations are, in fact, not guilty.

>  No system is perfect,  and I'm curious about what a "normal"
> number of infractions would be.   Wouldn't picking a couple of schools at
> random for a complete and thorough audit be a good thing for the NCAA to do
> on an annual basis?   (Please no shudders,  it would really help:-)   Sort
> of like having Lloyds of London coming in periodically to do your ISO 9000
> audit!

That may not be a bad idea. We would probably come across the same
repercussions as we did when it was announced that the NFL (I believe)
was going to do random drug testing amongst its players. Somehow,
though, it doesn't seem right to me.

>      I wonder how much schools like UNC,  Duke,  Michigan,  and Penn State
> spend on compliance efforts compared to Maine?   This speaks to my

I think that's a good point. For years, I have always believed that
these schools ran clean, legit programs. Thinking about Dick's
comments, it's hard to believe that, anymore. I'll still maintain
my respect for Dean Smith, Mike K, Joe Paterno, etc, as coaches
and human beings. However, I'm not sure what goes on behind what we see
on SportsCenter.

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +