Sender:
From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:52:16 -0700
Comments:
> From: Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Elmira-Air Force box scores
>
> The Elmira Soaring Eagles journeyed out to Colorado Springs to take on a
> Division I opponent, the Air Force Falcons, and came away with a split of
> their two games.  On both nights, the winner followed the same unusual
> script:  take the first period off, let the opponent build a lead, then
> come roaring back with a second-period outburst.  On Friday, Elmira raced
> out to a 3-0 lead after the first, but then Air Force scored four times in
> just over two minutes of the second and, after Elmira had regained the
> lead, put the game away with three more in the third.  The next night, it
> was the Falcons taking the lead after one, 2-0, only to see Elmira score
> four times in the second, including three in the period's final five
> minutes, en route to a 5-4 win.
>
> Box scores from the Elmira _Star-Gazette_:

cool, only the friday one made our paper here.

box score deleted.  The referees were john campion and randy
schmidt(sp?) and the linesman was kirk schoeck.  Kirk is from denver,
and john a wcha official from the twin cities and randy is from north
dakota and is used by MIAC (the D-3 league in Minnesota)

> Air Force picks up its first win of the season.  One thing I don't under-
> stand about this game:  why did Elmira goaltender Bryan Musa return for the
> third period?  He was replaced by backup Jim Dinneen after letting Air
> Force tie things up with three goals in 70 seconds, and while Dinneen
> promptly surrendered the go-ahead goal, the Soaring Eagles did regroup and
> take the lead again later in the second with him in the net.  There was no
> report of a Dinneen injury or anything.  Elmira, after falling apart early
> in the second, seemed to have gotten a spark and regained the momentum with
> Dinneen in the net, so why mess with what appears to be working?  While
> Musa is ostensibly the #1 guy for Elmira, he was coming off a rotten per-
> formance against RIT the weekend before.

I really believe the goalie change was a wakeup call for the elmira
bench.  I was standing with the north end goal judge and we both
remarked to one another about that.  I said I saw parker do that at
the BU lake state game in St. Paul and joe said keenan did it all the
time at st. louis.

This box wasn't in our paper

> Third period -- Scoring:
>      E Evans, 1:51 (SH)                                              5-2
>      AF Scott (Davies, Michaud), 3:11 (PP)                           5-3
>      AF Davies (DeGironimo, Michaud), 7:02                           5-4
>
>      Penalties:
>      E Vasicko (slashing), 1:28;
       E Meola (interference), 2:04;
       E Zohr (tripping), 2:20;
       E Russ Bitely (delay of game), 2:20;
       E Wensley (holding), 3:19;
       E Wensley (holding), 12:57;
       AF Sellnow (illegal >      stick, misconduct), 12:57
something is screwy here because.....
A) the evans goal was a 3 on 5 shorthanded goal
B) at the time of the scott goal we had seen the following
        (our clock has two penalties displayed)
   1.  the first penalty had expiered and been replaced
       on the clock with the 3rd penalty
   2.  the second penalty on the clock had expired and had not been
       replaced by the fourth (so the elmira people were going crazy
       saying they should have had 4 skaters on the ice.
   3.  After the goal was scored, there was mass confusion and there
       two penalties put up for (i believe) 2:00 and 1:27

I was confused because I didn't realize there had been 2 calls at
2:20  My belief is that at 3:11 2 penalties (the one not listed)
and vasicko's had expired, meola and zohr were counting, and bitely's
was waiting.  Then on the score, meola came out, bitely's started
counting down. I extrapolate from the 1:27 that the first penalty was
called at 38 seconds of the period.

Now note that air force was up (5 on 3) from 1:28 to 5:11 and elmira
managed to play them even for this period of time.  That is a big part
of why air force lost the game.

> If the newspaper account of this game is correct, we have one more nomina-
> tion for the HOCKEY-L "Amazing Feats" thread.  According to the paper, Dave
> Evans scored both a power-play goal and a shorthanded goal in this game.
> OK, that doesn't sound all that remarkable, but the power play goal was on
> a 5-on-3, and the shorthander was -- you guessed it -- a 3-on-5.  This
> report is not supported by the above box score, but there have been errors
> in Elmira boxes in the _Star-Gazette_ before.  If, for example, Evans'
> shorthander was at 2:51 of the third, rather than the given 1:51, then it
> would have indeed been a 3-on-5.

I believe the error was omitting the earlier penalty, not the time of
evans' score, because i rememberd remarking to my wife about the 3 on
5 to a D-3 team.

> Well, anyway, Elmira is off this coming weekend, and their next action is
> at the Bowdoin tournament on November 25th and 26th.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369