Sender:
From:
"J. Michael Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 19:17:15 -0600
Ryan Bowman wrote:

>Hey, the government and big wigs seem to get involved in everything else
>without thinking twice so...
>

>Why not create a Women's Football Team?  Give them 80 or so scholarships,
>and let them go with that, seeing how much revenue they bring in for the
>school..

Before everyone gets too excited about getting screwed by Title IX, it
should be pointed out that more than 90% of the schools in the country
(i.e. If your not Michigan or Notre Dame or someone) lose money on football
if all of the expenses of the sport are counted.  Basketball isn't as big a
revenue source as most people think, either. In general, all of athletics
is supported by the University as a whole.  It seems to me that it is
perfectly reasonable, under these circumstances, to have some criteria for
equity.  If men's athletics wishes to use up a huge chunk of scholarships
on one sport (85 on football), that's their decision.  All of these
problems stem from that decision, though.