Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:19:00 EDT
Something to pass along, which brings a huge smile
to my face.

I've recently learned that Roman Halko is listed on the
1995-96 Cornell varsity roster and played in the intrasquad
scrimmage.  Roman is the older brother of Steven,
Michigan's captain.  I *believe* they're the only current
Division I brother combo playing for different teams.

Steven is senior defenseman and All-America candidate.
Roman is a crafty forward and, at least academically, is
also a senior.

A quick version of the story, hopefully all of the facts are
correct.  The Halkos are from Bolton ONT.  Roman and
Steven played together (along with about 8 other current
CCHA players) on the MTJHL's Thornhill Thunderbirds
in 1991-92.  Roman was essentially in 13th grade, which
to my knowledge is required for attending a Canadian
University.  Cornell was one of many teams recruiting
Steven, and on one scouting trip Roman apparently caught
their eye as well.  As it were, Steven chose Michigan and
Roman changed his mind about staying in Canada and
decided to play at Cornell.  Well, upon arriving in Ithaca,
Roman decided that playing hockey would take too much
time away from his engineering studies.  He hasn't played
seriously in three seasons, but first year head coach Mike
Schafer called him and invited him for a tryout.  Roman
accepted and is now on the roster.

I don't know how much action Roman will see for the Big
Red, but I'm tickled to death that he's playing.  I see a jersey
that I'm going to have to add to my collection. :-)

John H