Sender:
From:
Steve Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 14:24:12 -0400
I would just like to add to venky's comment earlier about Walsh's earlier job
offers.  He commented on the job offer by the rangers 2 years ago. Walsh had
been a coach who has been very much in damand.  Having been a Maine fan for as
long as i can remember, I have seen situations like this many times before...I
remember four or five years ago when everyone in the Bangor area was
absolutely sure that Walsh was going to go to DU and take over their program..
In the end Walsh stayed.  His only somment on the situation was the he had
seroiusly considered it but when i came down to it all he just loved Maine
too much to go.  While I realize that Shawn is from Ohio and his wife Michigan
I do believe that he will not leave Maine at this time.  He has just had a
season where his team was the #1 team in college hockey for most of the year
only to end up losing to a BU team who he had beaten twice before and not lost
to in the Championship game.  He only lost three players to graduation so we
and he can look forward to yet anothere strong year from the Maine Black
Bears.  Had Maine won the nationnal championship this year it would be very
possible that he would leave, but i don't see him leaving anything unfinished
at maine, which he would be doing with the current team he has.

I have also had the pleasure to know a couple of past UMaine players.  When
the question of whether Shawn cares about his players grades is raised, I have
to respond that he cares about grades more than anything else.  I know that
the players have a two hour mandatory study hall every day, and if they skip
it they get into a lot of trouble with walsh.  One player whom i knew though
his father got suspended from any team contact by walsh for diciplinary reaons
as well as academic for 10 days. While this player was a red-shirt and is not
longer with the team because of academic reasons, this shows that Walsh
stresses academics heavily.

 lets keep our fingers crossed,

    Steve Archer
    Hampden