Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:00:24 EST
Jack Berenzweig wrote:

> Presently, many incoming college freshman hockey players have already been
> drafted by NHL teams, since the NHL draft age was 18.  Under the new NHL
> settlement, the draft age has been changed to 19, "with 18 year olds having
> the right to elect to be drafted".
>
> NCAA Rule 12.2.4 states: "An individual loses amateur status in a particular
> sport when the individual asks to be placed on the draft list or supplemental
> draft list of a professional league in that sport..."  An exception to this
> rule was enacted in 1994 for the NBA basketball draft, but for no other
> sport.
>
> It therefore appears that an 18 year old hockey player who intends to play
> college hockey will not be able to "elect to be drafted" as an 18 year old,
> but instead will now have to wait another year to be drafted.
>
> I wonder if the NHL and the NHLPA had recognized this when they changed the
> draft age.

This seems to be a non-issue for college hockey players.  Presumably a player
is heading to college to at least play for a year, so the player can play
college hockey until he gets (potentially) drafted as a nineteen year old and
then can decide to stay in college or go to the pros.  I can't see any reason
why a player headed to college would opt to be drafted as an eighteen year old
rather than the new norm.

So I don't see any impact at all on college-bound hockey players.  The players
in the juniors are the ones who will see *some* change but *very* few of them
leave juniors at age 18.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!        Go Leafs! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*