Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 1995 03:44:58 GMT
In a game that wasn't as close as the score, the Colgate Red Raiders crushed
the RPI Engineers tonight at Houston Fieldhouse.  Less than 3 minutes into the
game goaltender Bryan Massotta lets in a trickler from the face-off circle, and
its downhill from there.  My totally unofficial box follows:
1. Colgate Carter (Dexter, DeBusschere)
2. Colgate 14:35 Loftgard (#13, Fogerty)
3. RPI Clarke (Pirrong, Richardson) sorry forgot the time

Second Period
4. Colgate 3:38 DuBarry (Garzone)
5. Colgate Loftgard
6. Colgate 13:07 Cronin (Garzone, Mara)
7. Colgate 18:50 Harder (Dexter, Mara)

Third Period
8. RPI 13:05 Hamelin (Healy, Clarke)
9. RPI 13:36 Pirrong (Regan, Brick)

I'm sure Ken will post the definitive box, and I will post some comments about
the team in general tomorrow.  However, this was a team effort--virtually all
phases of play were sadly missing.  Starting with the bizarre line changes from
Dan Fridgen to the inablility to win a face-off, this game was a classic of
futility.  OTOH, perhaps this will serve as a starting poing for the Red Raiders
second season.  Their schizoid record, 2-5 against the ECAC, 3-1 against Hockey
East including a narrow 3-2 loss to New Hampshire in the Syracuse Invitational,
8-7-1 overall, makes a characterization of the team difficult.  I think the team
is better than their record, and should become a factor as the ECAC race heats
up.  The Red Raiders know how to score goals, they only need how to keep goals
out of their own net.

The Engineers at this point are wildly oscillating from game to game.  After
hanging on to beat Union, they are blown out by Princeton 9-3, defeat Merrimack
5-2, are throttled by Maine 8-4, outclass BC 6-2, lose big to Colgate 6-3.  I
guess you could say that bodes ominously for Cornell, but I think that is
emblematic of the team at this point in the season.  More tomorrow.
Brian Morris                        Go RPI!