Sender:
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 09:28:48 -0700
It is interesting that this topic has come up on HOCKEY-L this week.
Tuesday the CBC ran an hour documentary following the careers of five
hockey players, four in juniors (the OHL) and one at Michigan State.
Unintentionally it seemed to me like a good recruiting tool for US
college hockey.  One of the players was pressured by his father to sign
with a junior team as the quickest way to the NHL when he, and his
mother, wanted him to go to Notre Dame where he, I infer, had a
scholarship offer.  As it turns out he was traded about four times and
lost out on the opportunity for an education.

Of the five players portrayed only one seemed like he had a good
possibility of succeeding on the NHL level, and
his success is anything but assured at this point.  All five, of course,
at the beginning cited the NHL as a goal.  The only player who seemed
happy with his decisionmaking at the end was the Michigan State player
who is graduating this year, even if it does not look like he is NHL
material, although he is giving it a shot.

If I were a young Canadian player watching this program I would be
listening seriously to any US college offers.

Arthur Berman   [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!