Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 15:21:59 -0500
Dave Hatfield writes:
>What ever happened to the "Teapot" Tournament?  Was it a local Div II
>equivalent to the Beanpot?  I remember that Lowell was in it, but I don't
>recall the other schools, or for that matter, much else about it's
>history.

Great question...I would love to hear more about the Teapot, since it
was just before my time.  It was sort of a DivII Beanpot, also played in
the Garden, and it featured Lowell & Merrimack (when both were DivII),
and teams like Salem State and Holy Cross.  I think it was an
invitational, or at least the four teams were not the same every year.

The stories I have heard about Lowell-Merrimack games in the Teapot
are legendary.  In fact, from what I have heard, the last DivII game
(and the last game played by Merrimack in the Garden) was in the
Teapot - a huge Lowell-Merrimack brawl that spilled over into the
stands.  This came in the early 1980s and caused Garden officials,
supposedly, to decree that there would be no more DivII hockey
played at the Garden.

But again, this is all strictly second hand from "old-timers" and it
may have been embellished over the years. :-)