Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 16:09:47 EST
        I'm certainly not an expert on this,  but perhaps by posting some
comments I can stimulate a discussion on a very worthwhile subject.

        First of all,  whatever defensive strategy is adopted,  we have to
keep sight of one essential fact.   The defenseman must close the distance
between himself and the puck carrier in such a way that at the intended
point at which contact is desired,  he is not giving up much speed.   If you
think about that,  it's one darned difficult thing to do.

       Let us assume that the defenseman starts from just inside the
other team's blue line with a backward power start,  follows that with a
few backward cross-overs which gain speed and coincidentally elongate the
path that he skates,  finishes with a couple of hard backward C's which
snap his leg straight on each.   At that point,  he should be almost up to
the speed of the attacker and be in the process of crossing the his own
blue line.

        What happens next is what interests me.   How fast and shifty is
the attacker?   How well has the defenseman accomplished the above?   How
big is he,  and how fast?   Obviously,  if relative performances are such
to permit it,  making contact at the blue line is a great move.   But it
generally requires slapping on the brakes,  and if firm contact is not made
will result in the forward simply stepping around.   In that case the D looks
dumb.   A much safer move is to invite the attacker wide,  turning and going
with him at the same time,  and making contact as he does so.   At this point
it is worth noting that in riding the attacker wide,  it is actually better
for the D to have lost half a step on the forward.   Why?   Because that way
the attacker cannot turn the D "inside out" by making a cut in back of him
to the net.   Note that I did not say a full step!!   (The whole game is
decided by half steps  --  have you noticed that?)   In any event,  what the
D does NOT want to do is to back in on his goalie without making contact.
BUT,  easier said than done  --  and much easier to criticize than actually
get out on the ice and try it.

        I'd really like it if some players and coaches on the list could
jump into this discussion with some expert opinions.   For instance,  I've
seen a lot of D's get their heads down to make effective poke checks.   But ...
when they miss ... disaster.   Also the difference between squared up and
shoulder to shoulder hitting is something that we all should know more about.
What's the latest thinking on these and other aspects of defensive play?
Your thoughts folks??

        -- Dick Tuthill