Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 1994 12:25:24 -0500
I haven't seen much about the Providence/Maine series, so I figured I would
post a few observations about it all.

First, I was impressed with Providence.  I didn't know that much about them,
and I (probally Maine did as well) took them lightly expected to blow
through them.  Providence is a "scrappy" team, with some big guys who can be
real physical if the game calls for that.  They skated well all weekend and
just general worked real hard, making two exciting games!

Friday night, MAINE 5 Providence 4

        Providence came right out and took it to Maine 2-0 within the first
few minutes.  But Maine battled back, and took a 3-2 lead, only to lose it,
and fall behind again 4-3 in the third period.  The one thing Maine has done
when trailing in the third all year is dig down deep.  These are not the
most talented players Maine has ever had, but
Shawn Walsh called them the hardest working group of players he's EVER
coached.  When called upon, they seem to find a way to win.  Jacque Rodrigue
blistered a beautifull shot from the blue line to win it Friday night.
        Maine did seem to be sluggish Friday night, only occassionally
skating (Maine should outskate PC, they are very fast), and being out hit.
Maine was able to knotch the win, in a very evenly played exciting game.

Saturday night, MAINE 2 Providence 1
        Saturday night was a different story.  It was one of the better
games Maine has played this year.  The PC goaltender, Dennis, in my opinion
was the star of the game.  Maine had many great scoring chances, and Dennis
kept PC in it all game long.  Both teams defenses played well, but Maine was
using their speed better to dump the puck in, then beat the PC defense to
it.  Maine was allowed several times to set up in back of the PC goal, and
that created many of those scoring chances.
        Maine had their tight defense back in swing, as once again Maine
forechecked hard all night long keeping PC out of the neutral zone as much
as possible, and keeping them away from the center of the offensive zone.
        Overall it was a great weekened for either side to watch hockey.
Providence has nothing to be asshamed of, and if I was another Hockey East
team, I'd be carefull.  This team can be dangerous if you allow them to.
        I'd like to see the box scores for this weekend, if someone could
post them... Thanks..
DERON TREADWELL - [log in to unmask] |
The Hockey Bears are back in '94! 8-0-3    |
               GO UMAINE!!!                |