Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 23:12:09 -0500
Responding to msg by [log in to unmask] (Steve
Czuba RPI) on

>I don't want to get anyone mad out there, but I think
>switching coverage from  38/NESN to channel 68 is a big
>mistake. I have no idea on viewership numbers but  I
>certainly don't get channel 68 and I live 25 miles from
>Boston.

Not truely about hockey, but if Channel 68 can be received in
your area by certain minimum standards, than your local cable
company *must* carry WABU if the station requests it.  If you
have cable call Channel 68 and tell them your cable company
does not carry the station.  If you do not have cable, you
could try a high quality directional antenna (which is how I
used to receive Channel 68 fifteen years ago before I got
cable.  By the way, I live about 18 miles from Boston), or a
satellite dish.

>Ugh. I'm very dissapointed if this in fact is true. I
>just hope this doesn't  lead to subsequent Hockey East
>games going over from NESN to 68 as well.

NESN and Hockey East are in the final year of a three-year
contract and recently signed a new five-year contract to start
with the 1995-96 season.  the new contract calls for at least
16 regular season games (this year they are televising 20
regular HE games) plus tournament games including the
semi-finals and championship game.  I doubt Hockey east will
leave NESN and it looks like NESN will not leave Hockey East.
Channel 68 will likely see how the BU games go this season
before making a decision about televising BU games in the
future.

>--- Tom Larson must be getting bored with no Bruins
>action in the forcast. I  noticed him taking over the
>inter-period interviews/etc.. during the BC /
>Northeastern game.

Or maybe NESN replaced Dawn with Tom due to viewer complaints.

AND

Responding to msg by [log in to unmask] ("Charles A. Baldwin")
on

>I've seen conflicting reports, so I wonder if anyone
>can give me a  quasi-definitive answer to the
>following:
>
>Is the BU-Harvard game @ Harvard being televised, on
>Channel 68 or  elsewhere? I believe the game is being
>played the Tuesday before  Thanksgiving. Thanks.

From what I have read in the Boston Globe the ECAC has a TV
packege this year and 11 regular season games will be
televised, plus the ECAC playoffs.  SportsChannel or NESN will
broadcast all the games, most on tape delay, but the BU at
Harvard game is the first game of the ECAC package and will be
carried live on NESN.

The ECAC package includes the following games all live:

Nov. 22  BU at Harvard             NESN
Nov. 25  Lake Superior at Vermont  NESN
Feb. 24  Harvard at RPI            SC
Mar. 17  ECAC Semi-Finals          SC
Mar. 18  ECAC Championship         SC

The Globe did not list the other 8 regular season games, as
they apparently will not be televised live in Boston/New
England.  I am interested in knowing what other ECAC games are
on the schedule.

Sean Pickett     -     Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East
Champions!