Sender:
From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 1994 17:10:42 -0400
I was told recently that it was announced (second-hand source) that Boston
University defenseman Chris O'Sullivan would be moved from defense up to
forward.

****** my opinion ******

GREAT!!!

I have been begging, calling for, and predicting this move for over a year
now.  I just have a sense that it will be the biggest move for BU this year.

Having seen O'Sullivan play forward in high school and again this summer in
the Pro-Am's, I would say that the prospect of O'Sullivan playing up front and
possibly switching back for special teams (see Dave Sacco) is great.

He has quickness, is not small, and, most important of all, has that sniper's
instinct that you can not teach someone.

With 7 other recruited defensemen, BU will still be one of the deepest in the
country and will always have the option of moving Chris back in emergency or
on special teams.

BU's lack of a sniper this past year was something they were able to cover-up
with depth of talent, but I will predict right here and now that Chris will
be on first line with Joubert by the end of the season and will be in the
running for All-Hockey East.

Chris will put points on the board and backcheck wonderfully.  I think he and
Joubert will become the focus of BU's offense by the end of the season.

Chis is still skinny, but I think, by the end of the season, this will be what
people point to if BU is successful this year.

To quell any worries about the defense without Chris, BU will still have:

Rich Brennan   SR  (NHL pick, preseason All-American)
Kaj Linna      SR  (former 2nd team All-American)
Doug Wood      JR  (Has played regularly and consistently since frosh yr)
Shane Johnson  SO  (BU's most improved player over last year)
Jon Coleman    SO  (NHL 2nd-rnd pick)
Jeff Kealty    FR  (NHL 1st-rnd pick)
Chris Kelleher FR  (NHL 5th-rnd pick)

Although talent does not neccessarily translate into wins, BU has enough depth
of talent to move Chris (2nd-rnd NHL pick) up front and still have an NHL pick
sitting on the bench hoping for ice time.

This move also makes me less worried about BU's fourth line this coming year,
something I felt was looking extremely weak (was looking like worst 4th line
at BU since 1988-89 season)

A move like this will domino and bump someone from 2nd or 3rd line down to 4th,
adding some much-needed talent to what that line was looking like.

This was not meant to be a woof, or a "my team is the greatest ever" post...
I am just extremely happy at a move that I have been screaming for for over
a year.  I really REALLY think this will turn out to be great move.

Let's hope I'm right, since I've stuck my neck waaaayyy out on this one.

Thanks for listening to the babble and make a mental note for looking at the
scoring chart at the end of the season.