Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 13:59:45 -0400
I like Mini One-on-One, but I don't like the idea of using it to
decide games any more than penalty shots.  In Mini One-on-One, that IS
the game, successive man advantage situations.  The team that is
better at those situations wins, and the teams are selected precisely
so as to involve players who excel in those situations.

But it is not hockey.  Hockey involves man advantage situations, but
only because someone makes a mistake or is successful at drawing a
penalty.

Greg writes:
>As many of you know, FIFA is leaning towards replacing the
>shootout with corner kicks, the idea being to answer some of the
>criticisms so ably detailed on this list.  It's a more "natural"
>siutation, involves more players, yadda yadda ya.  I think
>the general justification is similar to voting Democratic: it's a
>horrible prospect until you consider the alternative.

But there isn't just one alternative.  Millions of Americans
discovered that in 1992 when there was not just one alternative to
voting Democratic, there were two (regardless of whether you liked the
guy or not).  And in both hockey and soccer, it isn't a case of
"lesser of two evils", because there are other possibilities - some
that perhaps haven't been thought of yet.

Just as an example, one suggestion I have heard for soccer was to
allow free substitution once overtime started.  That would cut back
the fatigue factor that is used as a reason why overtime cannot go
past 30 minutes.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>