Sender:
From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 12:53:40 -0500
Brian Morris posted, from a Newsday article...

>Maine's coach Walsh is quoted "We're excited to have them back.  We'll welcome
>them back with open arms.  They're going to be put right on our power-play and
>penalty-killing units."

>Ferraro senior indicated that the twins will play for Team USA at the World
>Championships April 25-May 8 in Balzano.

     I apologize for asking this because I'm sure it has been posted already.
Does the NCAA allow players to come back after the Olympics and be eligible
to play hockey without having to actually take classes?  If not, I really
admire the Ferraros for being able to handle their academics in spite of
being away from campus for so long (first for Olympics, and now for the
World's which must be taking place pretty close to final exams at Maine).
It's more than I could manage, I'm sure.
     Are there any other players from the U.S. or Canadian Olympic teams
who are eligible to return to NCAA teams for the remainder of the season
and are in fact doing so?  I'm wondering if the Maine situation is unique.
Todd Marchant (who was only at Clarkson for 2 years) isn't returning, having
decided instead to sign with the NY Rangers organization :-(.  We'll miss
him, but I wish him the best (even though I'm an Islanders fan :-)).

>Former Black Bear Jim Montgomery, whose picture in a St. Blues uniform is
>displayed prominently on the back page, is quoted as saying that was the best
>decision they could make.

     I saw Montgomery when I watched a little bit of the Blues' game last
night.  It looks like he's doing pretty well.

>All in all, Jim Montgomery sounds like a pretty nice guy.

     Yes.

Thanks,
-Glenn