From:
Justin Hoenke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Hoenke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2022 13:01:42 +0000
This is great! Here is what I have asked:

Funding for public libraries in Maine comes from a number of different sources. In the situation where I work, I get a bulk of my funding from a municipal source and then yearly I ask our surrounding towns if they want to continue to support the library. Every year it is a gamble to see which way these surrounding towns will go. There's a lot of uncertainty and worry that this funding will just magically disappear one day when a surrounding town says "no thanks we don't need a library". On top of that, there are many areas in Maine that don't have a "home library" so citizens of Maine are then forced to pay out of pocket to join a library.

One of the ways that this can be fixed is through funding directly from the State Library/State of Maine. We need to work on state library funding that will give everyone in our state access to all of the libraries all around. We need make sure that everyone in Maine can access every library in our state, and we need to make sure that all of our public libraries have stable funding that they can rely on.

My question to you: what are your thoughts on all of this, and do you think that if you are selected as the next State Librarian of Maine that you will devote energy to making this happen?

Justin Hoenke (he/him)
Library Director
Gardiner Public Library