From:
Julie Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:36:56 -0400
We are very excited to announce that we will be hosting podcasting
superstar and general all-around excellent human being, Brooke
McAlary, host of The Slow Home Podcast and author of "Slow: Simple
Living for a Frantic World," here at Lithgow Public Library on
September 1 at 10:30am. Brooke is currently traveling around the world
with her family and agreed to squeeze us into her schedule when I sent
her a fangirling invitation to present here. I'm still astonished she
accepted, and you are all enthusiastically invited!

Together we'll take a deep breath and learn to?

Declutter: Clutter represents deferred decisions, procrastination, and
overcommitment in the form of stuff. Brooke got rid of more than
20,000 items from her home in a year. She shares the six obstacles to
getting rid of the clutter and why clearing one drawer at a time is
the most effective way to start.

Be Mindful: Living mindfully is simply paying attention. Start by
tapping into the tiny details of life, and you?ll soon find yourself
experiencing and engaging more. Living a mindful life is free and
takes no extra time. It?s simply a matter of choosing to notice.

Disconnect: Technology isn?t the problem. It?s how you choose to use
it. Brooke recommends simple steps to make real connections, including
removing screens from dinnertime and your bedroom, removing
notifications and visual reminders, only checking social media on one
device, and only checking email when you have time to respond.

Maintain a Wobbly Balance: We?ve turned balance into a constant
struggle rather than a long game. Stop trying to do it all perfectly
and instead embrace the ?ish.? Let go of the all-or-nothing mentality
and accept that sometimes life just happens that way and that there is
no need to feel like a failure.

Will slowing down and simplifying make your life easier? Not really,
and not at the beginning. What it will do is put the important
things?your important things?front and center.

Brooke McAlary is a slow-traveling, gutsy, shiraz-appreciating writer
who, after being diagnosed with severe postpartum depression in 2011,
embarked on a one-woman mission to cut out the excess in her life and
reconnect with what was really important. She is now immersed in the
Slow Living philosophy and makes it her mission to help others define
and achieve their slow-living goals.

She writes the blog Slow Your Home and hosts and produces the podcast
The Slow Home Podcast. Hailing from Australia, she is currently
slow-traveling her way around North America with her family. Visit
Brooke at www.slowyourhome.com

Copies of her recent book, "SLOW: Simple Living for a Frantic World"
will be available for purchase and signing after the event.