From:
Matthew Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 01:48:14 -0500
Harvard         1       1       2  -  4
B.U.            1       0       1  -  2

Shots on goal: Harvard approx. 35, B.U. approx 16. (I was in a hurry to
get out and catch the T.) Goal by goal/play by play will have to wait
for someone who followed the game in more detail, but: B.U. took the 1-0
lead in the first period, answered soon after by a power play goal scored
just six seconds into the PP itself. Harvard got the lead late in the
second, when McLaughlin was injured. A delayed penalty was called
(perhaps wrong terminology-- would be 2:00 as soon as B.U. touched the
puck), but Harvard scored before B.U. got the puck back. The 2:00 penalty
was assessed anyway. Harvard got two quick goals to start the third; B.U.
made it close by scoring their second with less than a mintute left.
        This was an excellent game to watch; both teams skated hard, and
the refs called an amazingly loose game. I only had two regrets:

1. The BU/NE game lasted so long, this score will probably be too late to
influence the Hockey-L poll. [Does anyone out there still think Harvard
would be overrated at #3? :) ]

2. The boorish behavior of a man in a Notre Dame cap one section to our
right. Apparently upset about the language his children (who were up way
past their bedtime) were hearing, he screamed at us over the use of the
word "suck" in a cheer. ["McKERsie... SUCKS!"] This happened in the first
period; for awhile, we humored him. The third period goalie cheer ["Hey,
McKersie. We're still here, AND YOU STILL SUCK."], however, is a
tradition. This time, he decided display really good sportsmanship for
his children by throwing his ice water at a couple women in our woodwinds.
One of our tubae politely told him how inappropriate such behavior is; I
hope we do not have to deal with such abuse in the future.

--Matt
Trumpet, Harvard University Band
(but *NOT* a spokesman for them, not even on staff. These opinions are
uniquely mine.)