From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 91 23:51:17 EST
Mike writes:
>    In Division I history, only two other #8 seeds have won their first round
>    matchups (against a #1 seed); both came in the ECACs.  In 1974, #8 RPI
>    defeated #1 UNH, 7-6 in overtime, and then lost to #2 Harvard in the
>    semifinals, 7-2.  In 1980, #8 Cornell defeated #1 Boston College (!) 5-1
>    and went on to defeat #2 Providence in the semifinals, 5-2, and #3
>    Dartmouth, 5-1, for the ECAC Championship (truly remarkable).

Cornell actually won their 1980 semifinal game against Providence by a 6-5
score.  The Big Red was behind 5-2 early in the third period before mounting
a rally.  Providence and Cornell had quite a playoff rivalry going around
this time, as they met in four straight postseasons, with the lower seed
winning each time.

The 1979-80 Cornell squad was indeed a remarkable one.  They struggled all
year, and in their final regular-season game, at BU (which they had to win to
secure eighth place and a playoff berth), they blew a 5-0 second-period lead
before getting the winning goal with 48 seconds left in overtime.  Once the
playoffs began, however, a different Big Red team emerged, becoming the only
eighth seed ever to take the ECAC tournament championship (they came within
a goal of upsetting Northern Michigan in the NCAA semifinals as well).
Maybe something similar will happen to Northeastern...

As a side note, only one seventh-seeded team has ever captured the ECAC
championship.  Interestingly enough, it was Providence, and they did it in
1981, beating, of all teams, Cornell in the finals.  Sorry, Vermont fans --
no sixth seed has ever won the ECAC tournament.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"My brother was on Wheel of Fortune once -- and he embarrassed the SH** outta
 us, man:  'Yeah, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel... lemme have a K.'"
-- Paul Rodriguez