From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:39:24 -0500
I don't know whether this is truth or legend but here is my take on the
situation:

Many years ago, RPI started a tradition called the Big Red Freakout in
February of each year. At the BRF, fans were given souvenirs of the game and
encouraged to wear red and scream like hell.  For the first several years,
things were given out like cow bells and those long plastic horns.  Since
the freakout is sold out most years, imagine 5500 fans all with cowbells or
other artificial noisemakers.

One of the teams who was unfortunate enough to be RPI's opponents during
those early years was Brown University who were coached by Bob Gaudet at the
time. Bob Gaudet also served on the NCAA rules committee during that
period.  After his team was victimized by RPI fans for 3 or 4 years, the
NCAA rules committee passed a rule stating that no artificial noisemakers
could be handed out at games and was further extended that none could be
brought into the arena during the game.  Legend has it that Bob Gaudet was
instrumental in bringing this rule about and has since become known as the
"RPI rule".  Since that time, the freakout gifts have been non-noisemakers
which are pretty lame. But I must admit, 5500 cowbells is enough to impact
one's hearing for many days after the game.

This year, at another RPI event, they gave out thundersticks; those stupid
blowup things with some kind of RPI logo on them.  Most people managed to
get their hands on two of them. When inflated and struck together, they are
capable of making quite a racket also.