From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 21:52:18 +0200
> Unlike the World Juniors, where at least TSN was doing a Webcast, there is
> zippo audio/video coverage that I have found.  Maybe John Whelan can pirate
> Swiss TV and put it on Joe Schlobotnik's server for us to watch :).  Or John
> can lead a chat in clubs.ecac.hockey in Yahoo! where he can relay the flow
> of the game.

Y'know, I thought you were serious at first.  I read an article in
this morning's Berner Zeitung criticizing (mocking, to tell the truth)
the US media for ignoring the World Championships.  The German text is
on the web at

http://extra.bzonline.ch/article.cfm?id=110325&ressort=SPORT

("Ami" is a derogatory German word for American.)  If there's
interest, I can post a translation, along with the letter to the
editor I wrote while waiting for a doctor's appointment this morning.
(The letter mentions college hockey, BTW.)

> The IIHF site does have "live" game updates (text based).  Not as good as
> some US sites, but not bad.

Those can be found at

http://www.ihwc.net/hockeyPages/scores/

I actually use them to follow the early afternoon games when I'm at
work (rather than playing hookey to watch them on Eurosport or Swiss
TV).

Just to make everyone jealous: I had a choice of five audio feeds for
Switzerland-Sweden: English (delivered by an American and a Canadian)
and German on Eurosport, plus French, Italian and German (play-by-play
in Hochdeutsch, color analysis in dialect) on the three Swiss
networks.  Guess it's payback for not seeing any college games on TV
the last two years.
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/